All types of medication comes with some side effects. When it comes to bodybuilding (and steroids), some of the effects are severe whilst others are mild.
Which end of the spectrum will you fall? This mostly depends on the product itself and the sensitivity of the user. In this case the product is clenbuterol.
Clenbuterol is classed as a performance enhancement drug and not a steroid. Clenbuterol was originally formulated to treat asthma but later on was found to be very effective for losing weight and muscle growth. These two benefits have made the drug popular in the bodybuilding and weight loss niches.
Clenbuterol suppresses your appetite and thus helps an individual curb their hunger…aka the ability to not order a large Domino’s pizza and 3 boxes of cookies (on day 1 of your diet).
Clenbuterol is actually very common among women who want a quicker and easier way to lose weight, compared to doing endless amounts of cardio and eating salad leaves for months on end.
Cenbuterol’s side effects can be managed if the drug is used responsibly. Clenbuterol has short term and long term side effects depending on how much and how long you use it for. Like most drugs, the side effects can be life threatening if used irresponsibly; although if used reasonably most people don’t notice any major implications.
Short-Term Side Effects
· Muscle cramps – this is a common clenbuterol side effect which can be avoided by simply staying hydrated and making sure you have adequate amounts of potassium in your diet. Aim to drink at least 2 litres of water a day and it could be worth supplementing with potassium whilst your on-cycle. Potassium will also help you shift more weight by getting rid of subcutaneous water.
· Insomnia – it’s hard to sleep if you’re stimulated and have an overactive mind. You can reduce the chances of insomnia by taking clen earlier in the day. If you’re still a night owl after this, then it could be worth taking a hot bath or drinking some warm milk (with honey) to help you doze off.
· Severe headaches – usually a sign of dehydration or spiked blood pressure.
· Anxiety – due to extra adrenaline.
· Heavy sweating – due to a higher body temperature.
· Palpitations – Go see a doctor if you experience these whilst taking clenbuterol, to make sure there’s nothing abnormal going on.
· Dry mouth – drink more water!
· Increased heart rate – this is normal and the result of a stimulated nervous system. The same happens when you drink an energy drink or have a coffee.
· Vomiting – this isn’t a normal side effect but if you do experience this, stop taking clenbuterol.
· Shaking of hands – clen can cause shaking/jitters which is because of the adrenaline rush.
All of the above side effects are completely reversible once you stop taking clen. The side effects decrease as the individual adapts and gets used to the drug. It’s advisable to seek medical advice before, during and after using clenbuterol.
Long-Term Side Effects
What this means is that clenbuterol enlarges the heart and can cause arrhythmia. Arrhythmia is when a person experiences irregular heartbeats. Studies show that clenbuterol increases collagen which increases the size of heart muscle cells. This in turn affects the heart’s effectiveness to pump blood. This can potentially cause a stroke if the heart grows too big and finds it too difficult to pump blood around the body.
Studies also show that clenbuterol can cause aortic enlargement resulting in sudden death or aortic rapture in rare cases. These side effects are common when clen’s used over a long period with an excessive dose.
Clenbuterol has negative effects on your bone health. The drug increases bone fragility, which means there’s an increased chance of bone fractures to the individual. Individuals using the drug should be aware and more careful since they’ll be at risk. However most users don’t notice anything in regards to this.
Any overdose of medication can be dangerous. This is why it’s really important to take clenbuterol responsibly, to avoid any potentially life threatening side effects. Symptoms of an overdose may begin immediately and last for hours or even days. Clenbuterol typically takes a long time to break down and to clear out of the body, meaning it’s important to recognize any symptoms quickly.
Some of the overdose effects include:
· Difficulty in breathing
Needless to say, all of the above side effects are dangerous and can be life threatening.
Unexpected Weight Gain
Clen’s primarily used for weight loss and is most effective when used in 4 week cycles. After 4 weeks the individual is likely to start gaining water weight, as this is now considered a long cycle and is harsh on the body. Thus it’s important to keep your cycles short and sweet to minimize the chances of you experiencing any adverse effects.
Clenbuterol should NOT be used by:
· Pregnant Women – pregnant women should not use this drug because of the powerful effect clenbuterol has on the body.
· People with high blood pressure – any individual who has high blood pressure should NOT use this drug for whatever reason. The combination of this condition and clen’s ability to spike blood pressure can lead to death.
. People who have cardiovascular disease – due to the effect of the drug on the heart, any individual who has any previous experience with cardiovascular disease should not use clenbuterol.
. Diabetics – any individual with diabetes should consult a doctor before taking clenbuterol.
Due to the severity of clenbuterol’s side effects when taken by the wrong person, it’s advisable to consult a doctor before taking this drug.
It’s true that most supplements in bodybuilding have some side effects (even natural ones!), but you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Some side effects go away after an individual comes off a cycle, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe to misuse the drug. With the right medical advice and supervision clenbuterol can be taken without much internal damage. I hope this article has enlightened you on some of the known side effects of clen…and helps to keep you safe!